As the end of the 2021-22 academic year approaches, Chancellor Oakley announced that there remains excessive funds for community colleges following the pandemic. The amount of money Chabot-Las Positas Community College District will receive for 2022-23 is unknown until Governor Gavin Newsom signs the budget in June.
When funds are given to the district, the allocation process is divided between the district and its two colleges. The district retains 10% of the funds while 90% goes to Chabot and Las Positas Colleges.
Because of attendance and the number of individuals on the campuses, out of the remaining 90% of the funds, Chabot receives 54% of the funds while Las Positas receives 36%.
Las Positas uses 95% of the funds for the salaries of its faculty and staff members. The remaining 5% of the funds are used for materials and supplies.
LPC looks at the number of students, and the amount of money that was given to determine the amount to give to departments by percentage. If a department has grown, like the Fire Department, we would increase the budget to match the need. Annette Raichbart has been the Vice President of Administrative Services at LPC since late 2019. Raichbart explained how the allocation of funds is determined.
“We look at the increase we get from the state and try to make it equitable for everyone,” Raichbart said. “Same thing goes for cuts. We look at it individually and historically by department.”
Additionally, if staff members want reimbursements for certain purchases, they must show proof of it.
“If they are gathering or getting supplies for students, they need to have receipts,” Raichbart said. “Everyone needs to know and acknowledge that it was a legitimate purchase.”
From the point the college receives the signed document required for reimbursements, they aim to pay within a week. It should take no longer than 2 weeks to get the necessary signatures.
However, they require a credit card slip and an itemized receipt for proper reimbursement.
If the receipts are not itemized it could prolong the reimbursement process. If there are questions, that could also extend the reimbursement timeline. If an instructor lost the receipts, they have to fill out a form stating they lost the itemized receipts.
The district will receive its upcoming budget after Newsom signs it. The attendance and amount of funding it receives will determine the financial allocations for the next academic year.
Gibran Beydoun is a staff writer for The Express. Follow him @Gibran580MSCM.