When the budget allocation model for the 2014-2015 Chabot-Las Positas Community College District was put into effect, something was amiss. Three items totaling $610,000 that were not previously there had made their way in.
“I knew that it was time for the budget, but I realized we hadn’t looked at it in the last budget committee,” said Sarah Thompson, a sociology professor. “Mostly out of curiosity I opened it up, because my expectations were that we passed the new allocation budget a year and a half ago we had said that we were going to use that for a few years and reevaluate it. “
Those assumptions were incorrect. Sneaking their way into the budget were three items each increasing in size: accreditation costing $10,000, Educational Master Plan costing $250,000 and the Trustee elections costing $350,000.
These changes to the budget would come of the top, meaning the money would be taken out of the overall funds by the district office before it is divided between the schools.
There is still hope for the schools to get that money. Jeff Kingston, Vice President of Administrative Services, says that the budget, while approved, is still subject to changes.
“The response from the board was they were going to adopt the budget, but with the caveat that this be looked at by the district-wide planning and budget committee and brought back to us,” Kingston said. “The budget can be revised throughout the year.”
Per the budget allocation model, district wide funds are taken before the District Office, Maintenance and Operations and the schools receive their portions. The district receives 10.48 percent while maintenance receives 8.53 percent to cover their costs.
According to the budget allocation model, the schools then split the remainder of funds based on the number of full time equivalent students. Chabot, whit more full time students receives 58.92 percent. Las Positas takes the remaining 41.08 percent for its apportionment base of 6,757 full time students.